I have mixed feelings about this last glaze. The tea set worked out, but I am personally not happy with the glaze. It looks fine to the casual observer, but to me, knowing what I was going for, it gets a passing grade, but no gold stars...
I was however pleasantly surprised by the tall handled urn that I threw a while back in 2 parts for a demo. I was not sure if I was going to keep it, but I bisqued it and finally managed to fit it into a glaze firing. I just did some wax resist stripes over a clear glaze, and scratched lines through the wax and then dipped it again in a blue hares fur glaze . The result is quite funky (in a good way).
On Sunday, I went for brunch with the parental units and my sister and her fiancé (man it sounds weird saying that) at Diner Deluxe (excellent food btw). After brunch, mum and dad were off to the coast with my fresh out of the fire tea set, and I was back to the studio for more throwing. I am currently working with Dove porcelain, and I gotta say (again), I don’t like working with it. It does some specific things really well, but the sound of dinner plates flopping was deafening. I did manage to get 4 proper plates thrown, and then a large plate that flopped, I just flipped it upside down between 2 buckets and let it dry all wobbly.
I also began investigating a new form for me. I give 100% of the credit for this form to Mandy Parslow, an Irish salt firer. I was looking at her website and at her new work and this elongated form filled 2 gallery pages on her site. I love them. I love them so much that I am going to see what I can do with it. Essentially it is a collar of clay opened clear down to the wheel head and then smooshed together to make an oval boat shape. The rim must be narrower than the base so that when you smoosh, the rim doesn’t take a nose dive and hit the deck.