Tuesday, March 17, 2015


I have been working on a few miscellaneous items in the studio. I almost destroyed this pitcher while trimming. I trim them the right way up and then roll the base on a table to develop the "foot" and just smooth the bottom. I guess I trimmed it a tad thin in one spot and while rolling the bottom, it started to bulge out at that thin spot. Upon closer examination, it was not so much thin, as just too damp to support the downward pressure while rolling. I coaxed it back into shape though and managed to get a decent handle attached. I threw some tall mugs, a couple of coffee pour overs to test how fluting would work on the inside to aid the brew. I am not really sure that these channels are necessary, but the internet says so, so it must be true. I was also asked to make a large piggy bank for my nephew and since I already had money banks on my mind, I jumped right in and threw a half dozen or so of various sizes and shapes. I did one traditional pig, but then thought that was too ordinary. I had been thinking of a conical, hut shaped bank with various animal sculptures on top and while discussing ideas with my sister, the idea of an octopus came up. She had no idea what I would do, and so after a few birds, I made this 8 tentacled money bank. I hope it works.

Friday, March 13, 2015

Catching up in the studio

On top of what has been going on at my condo, I have been busily beavering away in the studio. Here is a quick rundown of some of what has been going on since my last glazing frenzy

here are some of the pots from that last glaze marathon

This is a cup and saucer for a potential project, possibly more to follow on that, we'll see.

Because I never make coffee pots, I thought I would change that

Must have teapots 

More scratching as always


White on white scratching, front and back

That's it for now.

Deja vu

I went down to my condo last night after work and took some pictures. They seem vaguely familiar (HA HA). As you may recall, it was at this stage of completion back in October last year, but then disaster struck, again, and the kitchen and floor had to be ripped out due to an influx of mystery water. The new contractor that we hired still has to paint some areas that needed new drywall, install new baseboards and do a final clean. There are some cabinet doors and drawers that were also damaged and will need to be replaced or repaired, but other than that, it is almost done. I am hoping that it will only take 1 more week or even less. I could live with the damaged cabinet doors and wait for the new or repaired ones to be delivered. I don't care, I just want to move home.