Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Life is funny

I was just thinking about the paths that we follow in our lives, and how we end up on these journeys. I remember reading an article about how human beings are wired to make our own paths instead of following the ones laid out for us. The article used a university campus as an example. The designers of the university grounds laid out carefully thought out pathways to connect each of the buildings on campus, but the students and faculty seemed to always avoid using the nicely paved sidewalks and paths and instead would pave their own way and the results could be seen in the aerial photograph of the grounds. The lawns were criss-crossed with trails made by all these people who refused to use the sidewalks. I think life is kinda like this university. It seems that there are those that like to limit us by delineating where we should and shouldn’t go, and then there are the rest of us who seem to always walk on the lawn.

I tend to work like this too. I enter the studio with a fixed idea of what I need to do, and then I start walking on the “lawn” and end up doing something completely different. It is almost as if the second someone asks for something specific, I don’t want to make it, and I will wander off on unrelated tangents until the time crunch hits and I have to knuckle down and just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment