Wednesday, April 2, 2008

just stuff

Well, it has been a while since I have posted anything, but I have been busy working, making pots, having shows, and attending meetings.
I am a member of the newly formed Calgary Clay Arts Association, and we have been working on getting registered, and thinking of things to do for our first event etc.
I also attended my first AGM for Centennial Gallery. This is the only true cooperative gallery in Calgary, and has been in operation for 34 years. It is located in Palliser Square, right next to the Calgary Tower. The major topic of conversation tonight was the fact that the gallery will have to vacate its space as of Aug 31st this year, as the building will be undergoing very major renovations that are expected to last over a period of 1o years. There is a new tower being built, and then each of the other towers will be renovated to bring everything up to date. The managemet has asked that we remain as a tennant, but move to a new location closer to the Calgary Tower entrance. Sooo. I have just started showing my work there, and I am faced with another gallery move (The Galleria just finished moving into their new space in March). I am starting to think it is me...:P
I am currently working on some new, and for me, quite a diversion from my regular style of work. I will take some pics and post shortly. They are multi layer boxes, ranging anywhere from 2-5 sections in height. The body is thrown seprately, and a thrown base is added to each of the sections. The lids are constructed from a slab that has been draped into the opening, turned over, cut to fit, and then has additions of clay around the edge of the lid to add more substance and interrest. So far I have only glazed one of them, and there are some refinements in the glazing technique that I have to do, but just minior ones. The glaze is adding a thickness such that the lid does not quite fit right. I know this does not make much sense, so I will post some pictures shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment