Thursday, March 22, 2012

Choo Choo!

As you may or may not be aware, I have an app on my iphone that I use as my alarm clock (one of 3 alarms that I use). It uses the motion sensing ability of the phone to figure out when I am in deep, light or REM sleep and it can start to wake me up when I am in light sleep so that I don’t wake up groggy. As an added bonus, it tracks my sleep patterns and records any noises during the night. I got this app mostly for the alarm clock functions, but I knew that I talked in my sleep, so I thought it would be cool to see what I actually say. I was reviewing the recordings for Tuesday night, and there were some brief bursts of babble and half scentences, but about halfway through the night, I came up with “Ch, choo….choo, choo, choo.”. Sometimes I say the weirdest things. As usual, I don’t have any recollection of what was going on behind the eyelids that inspired the locomotive references. Perhaps I was on the Orient Express, or living out some deep seated desire to be a locomotive engineer? Who knows. I wish I could actually save these recordings to share with everyone, but this app does not have that ability. If I can figure out how to record my nightly monologues, I will post some.
On the pottery front, I went down to Cactus Arts to pick up some better brushes for this shellacking nonsense. Having never used shellac, not even to refinish furniture (I’m a water based refinisher), I did not know what kind of brush to use. I originally picked up really cheap natural bristle brushes (wrong, wrong, wrong). I have since Googled this topic and have found out that nylon brushes work best, as the denatured alcohol (a very polar solvent) will not affect the nylon bristles like a natural bristle brush. For $1.99 each, I picked up 8 brushes of various sizes and shapes and I think they may just work.

I have not used them with shellac yet and am anxious to try them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment