Wednesday, July 6, 2011

She's been gone, gone, gone, she's been gone so long.....But now she's back

It sure has been a while. I have been avoiding blogging, not because I didn't want to, but I have been so busy, and tired, and truth be told, I have not had much of interest to say.
To catch up since last time, I had posted a few times that I was going to take part in a paper kiln firing, but between the monsoons and fire bans, that did not take place as planned. However, we are good to go for this Sunday. Neither forest fires, tornadoes, or 100 year rainstorms will stop us, so I promise to take some good video and pics of the event and post them for all to see.
Aside from that, I have been commissioned by my sister Erin to make 150 little bud vases for her wedding. You heard correctly....150. I have broken the seemingly daunting task into bite sized pieces, and so far, it has not proved too onerous. If I throw 10 at a time, I only have to do that 15 times, and I can actually throw 2 batches of 10 before my mind wanders and I lose interest or get tired. I am also making a different shape with each batch, so she will have 15 different shapes (but I just crunched the numbers, and instead of 15 batches of 10,  I will have to do about 19 batches of 8). Here are a few pictures of the first two batches I threw. I have even created a stamp to apply their names and the wedding date. These are only 2 of the 5 shapes I have thrown so far.



I have also been working on some new lidded forms, specifically casseroles with some bolder handles:

Here is a video of me throwing a similar casserole


So in a nutshell, this is what I have been up to lately...and I will try to post a little more often from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment